Unleashing Creativity

About this event:
Created by Catherine
Took place on 15 November, 2012 from 18:30 to 21:00
Science World at TELUS World of Science 1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver, BC Canada V6A 3Z7

Science is creative. Whether designing experiments, writing grants or explaining topics to non-experts, creative approaches can be helpful. We want to talk about going outside of the traditional – and maybe your comfort zone – to try new media and/or topics that could lead to new opportunities.

We’ll talk about what might be holding us back and then explore ways around the blocks. We will have a fun chemistry demonstration by Tamara for inspiration.

Not only can creativity help with the traditional aspects of science, but it can help with the way science is portrayed in the public. If we keep sending out the good data and people aren’t getting it, do we need a new approach? To keep a story fresh in mainstream media, we often need a new angle/story. We’re hoping to brainstorm new ways of discussing common science stories: climate change, vaccines, chemical-free movement.

We hope you’ll be excited and ready to add a bit of creativity to your science and life!

The session will start at 7 pm but we’ll have mingling (with BEvERages) at 6:30. Please RSVP so that we comply with liquor laws.

We will have some demos from Tamara as an example of Creativity in the Classroom:

In these days of instant information, keeping the attention of your students during class can be a challenge. In order to compete with instant media sources it is important to make the information presented in the classroom dynamic, interesting and relate-able. Often students will find it hard to visualize an abstract concept from a chemistry class and it can be beneficial to provide a? concrete’ visual to the students. Live demonstrations are a great way to accomplish this. Not only are they entertaining for the students, they offer a creative outlet to present the relevant material in class. In this presentation, you will see how demonstrations are being used to illustrate concepts from a first year chemistry class notebook.
Write us your thoughts. Play nice.

Altaira Northe says:
13 November, 2012 at 17:29 · Reply

So sad that I won’t be able to make it this month! This is such a great topic! Are the talks posted anywhere online after the fact?
Catherine says:
14 November, 2012 at 00:11 · Reply

We will live stream and collect tweets. The link will go on the event page.
Chuckles says:
14 December, 2012 at 02:32 · Reply

Walking in the presence of giants here. Cool thinking all around!
Mayuresh says:
1 February, 2013 at 19:12 · Reply

Isis I have a 14 year old daughter who like many kids of her age is a prolific user of the internet.She also has an interest in science and this looks exactly like the kind of blog that she should be able to use to encourage her interest in science.What you appear to be suggesting is that if she finds her self in a position in which she is powerless to respond in any other way that engaging in some form of abusive behaviour would be an acceptable method of last resort as a means of dealing successfully with the matter.It strikes me that their are a number of potential pitfalls in the message you are sending and in the manner in which you broadcast such facts.I wonder perhaps if you should set out youre position more fully with a younger female readership and online safety in mind.
Sulis says:
14 December, 2012 at 13:22 · Reply

What a great, thoughtful, and thought-provoking topline roundup of #scio11.Absolutely, not all scientists want to be science journalists. That more scientists are taking advantage of an opportunity to engage with the public can only be a good thing. I do think some some! scientists who blog have fallen into a very competitive blogging stance that mimics mainstream media’s approach the notion that they must blog about an issue because everyone else’ is doing so, and in order to drive up their blog rankings (this falls into the no thohgut left unuttered’ blogging category as far as I’m concerned). I’d say, if you’re not getting paid (as part of your day job’s mandate or by the aggregator site for which you blog) to blog; if you’re not blogging because you want to lay the foundation and build a platform for yourself as an author, don’t fall into the trap of feeling you have to blog about an issue just leave a comment on someone else who’s covered the topic’s blog.

That will still drive traffic to your own blog site. Not all blogs need to end up in the Technorati Top 100 in order to be successful.The issue you raise about after-reporting’ is a huge one something the nuclear industry has had to deal with after Three Mile Island and Chernobyl and something that needs to be done re the anti-vaxxer movement. When I worked in the nuclear industry, it was clear to me from the outset that the very different reasons for the incidents at Three Mile Island (failure to believe equipment could fail) and Chernobyl (refusal to follow correct safety procedures) had not filtered through to the general public.It’s occurred to me recently that one of the benefits of looking back on the reasons why the anti-vaxxer movement gained ground in a communications post-mortem sense would be helpful going forward. I’m convinced that if the initial key message when the MMR vaccine was developed had been communicating the need to build herd immunity (not save your own child from the perils of measles, mumps and rubella), the anti-vaxxer movement would have had the wind taken out of its sails as more people would have considered it part of their civic duty to have their children vaccinated.

I could be wrong but unless MMR vaccination rates start to rise dramatically, this is something that has to be re-examined.Anyway, raving a bit now so will stop. But thanks very much for this.
Hugo says:
1 February, 2013 at 21:40 · Reply

I just noticed that that guy doesn’t HAVE a capret. Just hardwood floors. Perhaps his capret is out getting cleaned after it was pissed on?

I guess I see my blog more as a sort of party to which anyone is invited and can comment. But if you’re going to start abusing me or the other guests or trashing my house, you’re going to get your ass kicked out the door real fast.Actually, I’ve had comment moderation active on my blog for a few years, ever since a series of attacks by one or more psychotic (or pseudo-psychotic) racist trolls. It kinda sucked letting them be able to dictate this change to my blog, but the fact was that they had access to my site (through my comments section) for more hours of the day than I did.

Steve Cox

I'm a crazy mad scientist trying to bridge the gap between the United Kingdom and Canada. I enjoy football coaching and gardening on the weekends.